How To Set Up a Google My Business Page and Why
In this short blog (5 minute read), we take you through step by step on how to create your businesses’ very first Google My Business profile! Stick to the end to learn WHY you want to do this as a new business.
- Go to business.google.com
- Make sure you’re signed in to the email account you want to manage the GMB profile from. It’s best to use a sharable business email account.
- Either type in your business name or click ‘Add your business to Google’, type in your business name and click ‘Next’
- Choose the category that best fits your business and click ‘Next’.
- If you start typing, you’ll see the available options automatically populate. Here, you have to choose one so choose the closest category to your business. Once you fully fill out your profile, viewers will be able to see exactly what you do and who you are.
- The next page will determine if you want people to be able to go to your businesses’ physical location. Click ‘No’ if you don’t have a physical office if you work from home for example. Click ‘Yes’ and add your business address here. DO NOT add your personal address here. You also can’t use P.O. Boxes.
- On the next page you’ll be able to choose multiple locations that you service. Here you should choose where your target market is and make sure it’s relative to where your business is located if you opted in to adding a visible address in step 5. This can all be changed later is you want more time to look into this.
- Now here’s where you can add your phone number and website.
- A tip from us is to have a business phone number other than your cell phone.
- Click ‘Finish’.
You’re all set! Now we’ll get in to WHY you should create a Google My Business page.
Google is the #1 search engine platform. The more you do with Google, the more Google like you! By this we mean you’ll be more likely to rank if you use the platforms Google has to offer for example Google My Business, Google Ads, and your website is follows Google’s best SEO practices.
Another reason you should be on Google My Business is it’s one of the first steps we take when doing SEO work for a new client. Yes, there’s so much more to SEO and too much to go over in this blog, but if you’re a new business and you want something easy to do to get the SEO process started, this is the perfect step!
If you want to learn how to optimize your Google My Business profile and get step by step instructions on how to fill it out FULLY, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a DM on Instagram at @inquemedia.